Friday, November 22, 2013

Daffodils



Happened to see a school-going kid reciting 'a host of golden daffodils' on an ad and like you get transported back in time to your teens or near, when you get a waft of a similar perfume or listen to a song of that age, I was rudely pushed back in time clear enough to hear my mother's voice read it out loud to an awestruck me, 'DAFFODILS'.

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;

The poem and the poet from that point of time have never been washed off my memory. I've imagined me floating over clouds, hills and valleys looking down to a never ending line of daffodils. Even at that teeny-tiny age, I was able to grasp that the world was imaginary, it was beautiful and there are people who can write such awesome lines that take you out of the world you live in to an entirely different cocoon.


Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
........................................................
.......................................................
I gazed and gazed but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

What wealth!!!
That moment on that ad jolted me to the past where i heard my mom's voice and the passion with which she verbalised the verses, the language, passing on that passion to me with such force that solitude for me forever has always been a bliss, a book in my hand, into my heart with pleasure fills and dances with the daffodils.

3 comments:

  1. thanks da. im blessed to hear that what i taught was not in vain. Such magnetic verse.The charm and spell continues to captivate me over years. Proud to see that asthetic in my scientist daughter.Have a look at the world around you.Life will be wonderful and it is my dear -AMMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Impressive Ka, Athai has always been Inspiring us and now you take the pride of carrying her honor to us! All glory to Athai :)

    ReplyDelete